Updated: Oct 3, 2019
(about 10 crumpets)
2 cups sourdough starter ( feed before you go to bed)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
enough butter for your skillet
1. Butter two egg rings and set them aside.
2. Heat your Skillet on low, I enjoy cast iron the MOST.
3. Pour your sourdough starter into a bowl. Sprinkle in the salt.
4. Then mix your baking soda with a tablespoon of water to dissolve, and pour into the mix. This part is really fun because your dough will start to grow with the addition of the baking soda and start bubble.
5. Pour a 1/4 cup of your batter into the egg cups ( this is subject to change as egg cups can come in different sizes.
6. Let them cook for 1-3 minutes until bubbles appear in the center and top looks a bit dry. Then push the crumpets gently out of the egg cups, and flip them over to cook the other side, usually 1-2 minutes. Just keep checking to see how brown they are. Usually they will look puffy and a toothpick inserted will come out clean.
Move them to a clean plate and start another batch!
Serve hot with butter and Jam, Jelly or Honey. mmmmm. I like mine whole with Jelly on top, but my kids like to split them down the middle like an English muffin.
TIME SAVER: ( tomorrows breakfast)Make a double batch if you like and keep them in the fridge a few days, split down the middle, toast them and serve with butter and jam.